Tempero-mandibular Joint Disorders
You are probably used to going to the dentist for teeth cleaning or even treating cavities, but have you ever thought of visiting your dentist to treat a headache or even migraines? The truth is that if you suffer from TMJ disorder, there is help available for you! The temporo-mandibular joint (also known as the TMJ) pivots and allows you to chew and speak. TMJ is the joint connecting the upper and lower jaw. Unfortunately, it’s highly sensitive to physical, emotional, and even psychological stress.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder - If you’re feeling pain when you speak, chew, yawn, or make any other movement you make using your facial muscles, you might be suffering from TMJ disorder. Are you experiencing?
- Sore cheeks and jaw
- Facial swelling
- Neck aches
- Headaches or migraines
- Pain radiating down the neck
- Dull, aching pain around the ear
- Clicking or popping sounds in your jaw
Your TMJ treatment at MDC starts with a physical examination, including a review of your health history and the symptoms you are experiencing. We will then discuss your TMJ treatment options, which may include:
- Making changes to your diet and habits — for example, no more chewing gum!
- Creating a custom device to adjust the alignment of your jaw
- Designing a bite guard to prevent tooth grinding and stress on your TMJ
- Prescribing pain medication or anti-inflammatories to provide relief from TMJ pain
- Helping you develop methods to lower your stress levels
- Intra-articular injections and Surgical interventions